Sunday, March 11, 2012

Alcohol Part 2: Beer Pressure and Going Out

Did you know that high fructose corn syrup is in nearly every mixer? So that means when I go to a bar, I either take shots (reminiscent of college parties) or dilute my gin with ice. Cue sad faces and tears.

Yes, that's a merman in a fish tank above a bar.

I tried to resist the temptation of mixed drinks and beer. I ordered a shot of the cheapest vodka at the above bar which was way too expensive for my poor tastes. Lean back and down the hatch, I always say. However our next stop was at a pub and since the bar was so crowded that finding a drink menu was like looking for the holy grail, I ordered a Hoegaarden. One of my favorite beers. Brimming with wheat, yeast, carbonation, and who knows what kind of complex sugars. I know... bad decision and I'm starting to feel the repercussions now. My symptoms appear like clockwork about a day after I ingest an offending food or drink.

It's not too bad to do this every once in a while, but I wish bars spent a bit more on quality tonic water and mixers than on Grey Goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment