Sunday, March 4, 2012

FODMAP. What does that even mean?

FODMAP. Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, and Polyols. A better/clearer name might be the Low Fermentable-Sugars Diet. Or the Reduce The Amount of Gassy Foods You Eat So You Have Less Gas Diet.

I think the odd acronym itself was the first thing that made me discouraged. I came across fodmap (no caps makes it less ominous) on the ibsgroup.org forum. The acronym was too weird, and at the time I completely disregarded diet as being a source of my problems. So, I never looked into what this diet was.

Come December 2011, I was fed up with the bloating, gas, and pain. I decided all or nothing; I might as well try fodmapping because nothing else was working. The bad thing is, the diet isn't concrete. Different websites have different safe and avoid foods. But, I started with this convenient chart:

Credit goes to user Common Response on ibsgroup.org


Looking at this list, there are more things you cannot eat than you can eat. It's daunting, but I find myself eating a lot healthier now than I ever did before.
No more high fructose corn syrup.
Quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, brown rice, etc. are all better alternative grains to wheat.
Preparing most meals myself gives me control over the ingredients.
Eating out... well that's a subject meant for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment